Saturday 4 February 2012

Corn Bunting

Sat Feb 4. Not birding today, except for watching Redwings and Fieldfares in the garden. John Yardley has texted me from Morton Bagot to say that the Tawny Owl is showing. The bird sits in a tree hollow near the main pool and is sometimes visible in the early morning.


Corn Bunting
 After a frustrating week stuck at work I am looking forward to getting out tomorrow, although the snowy forecast may put a spanner in the works as the country roads leading to Morton Bagot can be treacherous for a birder to drive to. I thought I would post a colour drawing of last weekend's Corn Bunting.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Corn Bunting drawing Richard. I am lucky enough to have a reasonable breeding population of them on my local patch of Shenstone (Worcs)...yet I still never tire of seeing/hearing them... hope its not a sight and sound I lose in future years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason,

      Perhaps its fortunate I didn't have my camera or I'd have posted a tiny brown image which could have been anything, such are my photographic skills.

      The interesting question is where had it come from. The nearest breeding birds I know about are south of Alcester, at least 15 miles away.

      I suspect there is an as yet undiscovered breeding population much closer.

      I am hoping to add your blog, which I do read, to my links, but I'm a bit of a novice at blogging and I haven't worked out how to do it yet.

      All the best

      Richard

      Delete
  2. Thats the thing with arable birds such as Corn Bunting, there could be a population nearby and no one would know, as there arent many birders working the farmland areas within the midlands.

    To follow a blog: when you open up a blog page, go to the very top right hand corner of the page and you will see a search box (with the orange blogger logo next to it). Just right of this bocx it says follow. Click on this and it will ask you if you want to follow publically or not. Answer this and click ok and you should now be following.

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason

    Well I've done something. I think I have joined your site as a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the wider world of blogging! ;-)

    ReplyDelete