Monday 13 February 2012

More news from yesterday

Monday Feb 13. You can never see everything when other birders are about.

Two additional records from yesterday concerned a Merlin reported on the Worcester Birding/Birding Today website, now known to have been seen by Alan Matthews and his dad. Nice one guys.

Also, Mark Islip went down in the afternoon and saw at least 200 Teal. I guess they were out of sight when John and I were checking out the flash in the morning. There is a pool hidden by phragmites beyond the fence. I rarely check it, because doing so causes unwarranted disturbance to whatever birds are on the flashes.

2 comments:

  1. Richard

    It was my dad and I that saw the Merlin on Sunday and I reported it on Birdforum. The Merlin flew over high and east, gave half-hearted chase to a small passserine, and then flew back west.

    Also with the teal flock, which was in the muddy area between the two main pools, there was one male Eurasian Wigeon.

    Regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. With all the Linnets about, it was about time a Merlin turned up. Previous records have been from late Feb to late March, and again in Oct. For some reason they have tended to be absent for the rest of the winter. As far as I know that's also the first Wigeon this year.

      I expect I'll bump into you at some point this year.

      Richard

      Delete