Sunday 18 March 2012

Waders save the day


Kestrel
 Sunday March 18

This morning I had arranged to take a couple of friends, Richard and Jan, for a stroll around my patch, having enthused about it over a meal several months ago. Naturally I wanted the day to go well and for my guests to enjoy themselves. We had agreed that only torrential rain would cause a postponement, but I was fervently hoping for a nice sunny day.

In the event, the day began cloudy and then became showery with a rather chilly north-westerly wind, Richard generously described it as bracing. We joined Dave Scanlan, and had good scope views of singing Reed Bunting and a couple of male Kestrels. Three Tree Sparrows flew off as I was about to scope them, and by the time we got to the flash pools I was a little concerned that the day might turn into a damp squib.

Fortunately John Yardley greeted us with news of the first Redshank of the year, and also that three Curlews had just dropped in. The rain stopped, and sheltered by the hedgerow we were able to point out a Green Sandpiper plus about 10 Snipe and approximately 20 Teal. About six Lapwings were energetically displaying over the recently ploughed field, but we couldn't find any summer migrants other than a distantly calling Chiffchaff and a few Meadow Pipits.

The return journey produced a good view of a fly-over Raven , a few calling Siskins and a chance to pull apart some Barn Owl pellets, although as usual the bird responsible was not in residence.

Next time I'll try to arrange better weather.

1 comment:

  1. Thats not a bad mix of waders Richard, makes the day worthwhile despite the weather!

    There has only ever been one Redshank and 1 Snipe recorded on my patch..but the the only water I have are fishing pools. Oh for a flash or a scrape! ;-)

    ReplyDelete