Tuesday 15 May 2012

Lesser Whitethroat

I recall chatting to Mike Lane last year about bird photography. He mentioned that he was particularly keen to add a Lesser Whitethroat to his portfolio as the species posed quite a challenge. On Sunday I noticed his mobile hide parked under a hedge where a Lesser Whitethroat was singing, and he has now very kindly sent me one of the shots he took that morning. I understand it took him 10 hours over two days to get pictures he was happy with.

Lesser Whitethroat by Mike Lane
My own visit this evening was made with Lesser Whitethroat in mind as I wanted to post Mike's picture on an evening when I also recorded the species. Initially I failed completely. It was rather chilly, and apart from 60 Swallows, 12 House Martins, and a female Wheatear there didn't seem to be much to see. Mike was there setting up his canvas hide in the hope of photographing Skylarks. The juvenile Lapwing is now quite large and Mike told me it had hatched from a clutch on the marsh just before the heavy downpour in April flooded the nest site. On my way back I at last heard a Lesser Whitethroat, but in spite of standing within about 20 feet of it, I never even got a glimpse.  
Cowslips
 I couldn't resist taking a photograph of the cowslips which line the hedgerow on the slope up to Bannams Wood. You'll have to imagine the Lesser Whitethroat singing into my right ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment