Wednesday 2 May 2012

Wednesday May 2

This evening the air felt a little warmer, almost muggy. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the birds and the habitat. Half way down the first hedge I heard a familiar noise. The staccato rattle of a Lesser Whitethroat is a classic spring sound, and this bird was the latest "first date" I can remember. It was a very welcome addition to my year list although it proved hard to see. I went on to hear a second bird from the hedge behind the main pool. Up to five birds usually sing in spring, and the breeding population is likely to be not far short of that figure.

Lesser Whitethroat
The pools and flashes remain full of water, and the lack of mud will probably limit the opportunities for finding many more wader species. On a positive note I did find that one Lapwing was still sitting, she had wisely chosen a slightly higher part of the flash field, and the dozen or so remaining birds have resumed display and so will no doubt try again. My second year-tick, a Common Swift, flew by right on cue. It was only a year-tick for the patch, as I saw two flying over the M5 yesterday. A second brood of Mallards was present, and the Little Owl was showing well. A single female Wheatear remains, and two Yellow Wagtails flew over. I have finally reached 90 species for the year, but I see that at this time last year I was on 102, so I've got some catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment