Sunday 4 November 2012

Fungi

Sunday November 4. A dreary wet morning birding alone on the patch as a cold front arrived just as I did, and departed by early afternoon. The pool was undisturbed, but apart from 120 Mallard and 24 Canada Geese, it contained just a single male Wigeon. The Flash produced 13 Common Snipe. There were still plenty of Thrushes about, I estimated 250 Fieldfare and 100 Redwings, but with my enthusiasm for birding dripping away in the rain I decided to take some photos of fungi.


Beef Steak Fungus
 

Common Funnel
 I have no idea what species either of these fungi is. Nor indeed of this one:

Hairy Curtain Crust
Perhaps some kind soul reading this can come up with some suggestions before I do some internet research and arrive at the wrong conclusion.

PS Jason K has kindly supplied identifications for the three fungi shown above, and I have amended the captions accordingly.

Many thanks to Jason.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Richard just read your post and thought I may be able to helpo with your fungi Id. Fungi has become a bit of a passion of mine in recent autumns. Anyway, these are what I think they are from your pics:

    1) The young fruiting bodies of Beef Steak Fungus (Fistulina hepatica)

    2) Common Funnel (Clitocybe gibba)

    3) Hairy Curtain Crust (Stereum hirsutu)

    Hope this helps
    Jase

    ReplyDelete