Monday 17 December 2012

Sunday December 16

Another late start (cricket watching), and a major phone malfunction meant that I seemed to have the patch to myself today. The weather has turned mild, but was also largely sunny.

Perhaps as a result of the milder weather I saw far fewer Thrushes, just 29 Fieldfares and 14 Redwings. I also struggled to see all of the finches which I suspect may still have been in the crop, and counted only 90 Chaffinches, 70 Linnets, and single figure totals of the rest.

The flash produced 10 Wigeon and 58 Teal, while the walk back added 59 Starlings heading east, and a single first-winter Common Gull going north.


Common Gull
 With the year now well advanced, it doesn't look as though I am going to add any more year ticks. The arrival of my 2010 West Midland Bird Club report prompts me to reflect on the Morton Bagot list.

There were two species in the report which I have yet to see here. A Willow Tit was recorded on January 23, and there is a note that up to ten Waxwings were seen in December at various sites, one of which was Morton Bagot. The only other species which I know to have been seen in a previous year, but which I have not seen myself, is Turtle Dove. Therefore I believe the Morton Bagot list stands at 140 excluding the pseudo-species Feral Pigeon, which I don't count.

2 comments:

  1. Surely you mean Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon AC4E*? Well tickable in my book Richard! And i've seen plenty of both, together! Including in 'core' supposedly Rock Dove parts of Britain like the Outer Hebs! Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon one and the same! And often seen on Nelson's Column!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig, I have to admit to being extremely inconsistent on this one. I have always counted Feral Pigeons on other lists, but I have the uncomfortable feeling that a lot of the ones that fly over Morton Bagot are actually racing Pigeons, both lost and actively racing. I deliberately singled them out in the blog so that any fellow Morton Bagot birders could choose to take their own view if they wished, so the true list could be argued to be 141.

    ReplyDelete