Tuesday 1 January 2013

January 1 2013

In my last post I intimated that I might manage to go birding on the patch on New Year's Day. The reason for the uncertainty was that we were spending Yew Year's Eve with friends in a posh hotel and I wasn't sure there would be time to go birding.

I needn't have worried, as the gang was up for a pre-lunchtime walk, and I suggested my patch might be a good venue. Cunning plan or what. Thus by about mid-day we arrived for a short sojourn around the south end beginning and ending at Netherstead Farm.

Our friends love walking, and have a general interest in the countryside to varying degrees.

Off-message straight away
A couple of horses immediately attracted their attention, but I did my best to show them some birds, eg Buzzard (but they missed the Peregrine that shot over it), Fieldfares and Redwings, Chaffinches (plus a Brambling seen only by me), and they might have heard Lesser Redpoll if I hadn't been gassing as it flew over.

My New Year's Day list for the Patchworkchallenge was thus a very weak 23 species (24 pts thanks to the Peregrine) by the time we returned to the cars. Many thanks to Bill though, who patiently helped me download an excel spreadsheet notwithstanding that I do not have Microsoft Excel installed.

As everyone left, I thought I might dash back to the patch at dusk. By the time I arrived it was really too dark (16.35), and I just heard Song Thrush and Pheasant for the year list. I also counted about 600 corvids, about 500 Jackdaws plus about 100 Rooks, roosting in the wood to the north of the patch.

The final incident was a brief view of a probable Woodcock as it flew across the road as I drove home. Unfortunately this was just outside my patch boundary, so it doesn't count for the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment