Sunday 24 March 2013

Migrants in the snow

It doesn't seem to have stopped snowing since Friday night and the potential for hazardous driving conditions was too much for Dave, so I was birding alone today. I parked at Oldberrow church as I wasn't sure how bad the small roads would be. Not too bad as it turned out.

I reached the gate overlooking the big pasture field just past Church Farm. The bedraggled sheep and lambs were baaing at me imploringly, and their hooves had churned up quite a muddy corner. Around them crawled lots of small birds taking advantage of the only part of the field which was snow-free and sheltered from the persistent north-easterly. I counted 30 Meadow Pipits, 40 Redwings, and smaller numbers of Fieldfares, Starlings, Robins, Blackbirds, and Song Thrushes, plus a solitary Skylark. The Meadow Pipits were particularly encouraging as I had only managed a single sighting throughout January and February. Clearly they were migrants.

The snow in the fields was about two inches deep, but I soon reached the main pool where, at long last, I claimed a year tick in the form of a pair of Tufted Ducks. Not too unexpected but they broke the log jam. Also on the pool were a pair of Gadwalls, several Teal, eight Coots, three Mute Swans including an immature, and plenty of Mallards, Canada Geese and Greylags. A dozen Common Snipe took off as I walked past. On Monday Mike Inskip had reported 60, presumably from the marsh, but I chose to leave them in peace today.

The Flashes contained another Gadwall and 54 Teal plus four Lapwings, six Snipe, six Meadow Pipits, and a pair of Little Ringed Plovers. These summer visitors were feeding in the marshy bit which the snow couldn't touch. Another year-tick, and although I generally find them in March, I wasn't at all optimistic today. Then, scanning the far flash I found more waders, two Green Sandpipers and a Dunlin. This winter plumaged individual was the bird of the day as I record the species annually but infrequently here.

Dunlin
I am still waiting for any other species of calidrid to get onto the Morton Bagot list, but the Dunlin was a very welcome find. I continued to Netherstead, but saw nothing better than three Herring Gulls going north, and a Goldcrest in the hedge by the road.

The walk back to the car into driving snow and the bitingly cold north-easterly wind was pretty tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment