Sunday 3 March 2013

Sunday March 3

Another cloudy, cold morning. I arrived at Netherstead Farm at 8.45am and within 15 minutes it was deja vu as the largeish accipiter disrupted the Jackdaws and again performed a fly past which left me nonplussed. The same issues as last week, the same bird, and I still couldn't decide what it was.

Frustrated and fed up I carried on and found very little to lighten my mood. 24 Teal, three Wigeon and a Green Sandpiper on the flash, a Siskin over, and about 10 Reed Buntings with four Yellowhammers. There are still 18 Skylarks in the ridge field. A pair of Lapwings is prospecting.

I met John, who had seen both Little and Tawny owl, and we ended up back at Netherstead where we hung around for almost an hour in the hope of a repeat performance which never came. About 30 Fieldfares, three Redwings and a Marsh Tit was about the best we could do.

Highlight of the day was my first bumblebee in my garden this year, which remarkably was a Tree Bumblebee, a species which took up residence a couple of years ago. It briefly appeared over the primulas we planted yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment