Tuesday 30 April 2013

Tuesday April 30

I was only able to get out birding today in mid afternoon. My target was Grey Partridge again. I was unsuccessful again. There were one or two interesting things to talk about though.

On my last visit I had noticed a Kestrel mantling a prey item in the ridge field. It remained in the same spot for over an hour as I saw it as I was heading to and also returning from the flash. I had assumed it was on a rodent or something. Today however, I found a half-eaten cock Pheasant in the same place. BWP states it can take prey items up to the size of Lapwing, but will also eat carrion. I would therefore imagine that the Pheasant was discovered as a carcass and had not been killed by the Kestrel.

The field behind the main pool is probably best described as set aside, but since the farmer has scraped in much of the vegetation it has become a great draw for all sorts of birds. Today I estimated 200 Woodpigeons and 30 Stock Doves as well as finding five Wheatears and a male Whinchat. I also accidentally flushed a Skylark off a nest containing three eggs. As I never deliberately search for nests, this was, I think, the first Skylark nest I have ever seen.

The Flash contained just the pair of Little Ringed Plovers, and the pool hosted 12 Tufted Ducks. The Little Owl was showing so I took a few photos.

Little Owl refusing to look at the camera
I reported my failure to find the Grey Partridges to Mike, and he texted back that he hadn't seen any Crossbills at Hillers. A nil - nil draw then.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,

    This field may look like set-aside (which no longer exists in British farming) but is actually a low input cereal on one side of the tussocky beetle bank, and a fallow plot for Lapwing on the other. The cereal will be drilled as soon as conditions allow, but the idea is that it is managed with no fertiliser or pesticides to encourage arable plants, insects and therfore birds.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I thought set-aside sounded like the wrong term.

      Rich

      Delete