Thursday 15 August 2013

Tortoise break-out

After a long and stressful day at work I found my opportunity to go birding delayed by news, from my neighbour, that a child had been going door to door asking if anyone had lost a tortoise. A quick check of the back garden produced no sign of Fred, and a tortoise-shaped hole in a lower fence panel by the shed. I began a search and soon picked up the trail from other neighbours. This led to a house about 200 yards away where our tortoise had been discovered on a doorstep by 10 year-old twin girls. Their mother told me I was five minutes too late as Fred had been taken away to a local rescue centre. At least we know where he is.

It was 19.00 before I went birding and the patch proved to be extremely quiet. A couple of Grey Herons stood on the flash with a Green Sandpiper, 16 Lapwings and six Teal.



It's a while since I put a drawing in, so the quiet night gives me the excuse. In fact the best birds, two Yellow Wagtails, flew over as  I made my way back to Morton Bagot church.

No comments:

Post a Comment