Tuesday 24 September 2013

Mystery moth

I came home from work to find that Lyn had photographed a moth on the window. There are no identification guides I know of which show the underside of moths so I was unable to even guess at an identification.

Then it came back. I popped outside and photographed it. We then looked through the moth book, and nothing stood out. We decided it was a bright Beautiful Arches, and then read its status. Possibly extinct, rare immigrant. Not that then.

I went back out, but it was nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, here it is.



If anyone has any ideas I would be pleased to hear from them.

Postscript: I've come up with a theory about the moth. Could it be a very worn Copper Underwing in which the upper surface of the forewing has become translucent giving the impression that it is orange? The rest of the moth does look a bit like a Copper Underwing. I can't understand why there is no copper colour showing from below though.

Post-postscript: Thanks to Craig Round who has put me right on the moth. Its a Common Marbled Carpet in a form the book says is "unmistakable"! Ah well, live and learn.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,
    your moth is a Common Marbled Carpet, the 2nd generation are on the wing from Aug to early Oct, and are highly variable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig,

    Thanks very much for the I D . Looking at the book again, of course that's what it was. I think I was thinking the moth was larger than it evidently was.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete