Saturday 9 November 2013

Compton Verney

After another week of work and darkness I was keen to take any birding I could from this weekend.

Today's opportunity came from a visit with Lyn and our friend Mal to a textile exhibition at Compton Verney near Wellesbourne in central Warwickshire.

Last year a similar jaunt paid dividends with an unexpected Hawfinch in the grounds. Lightning failed to strike twice however, and I was left with just common birds to see. Redpoll and Siskin flew over, and several Common Gulls floated overhead.

The Yew trees were yielding a crop of berries which several Greenfinches found irresistible.


The small lake in the grounds contained a few Mallard and a solitary Great Crested Grebe.


A Grey Wagtail lurked near the sluice, where I also heard a Kingfisher.

Its a very nice place to visit. The arboretum is truly spectacular, and I'm sure regular watching would turn up a few scarcities.


No comments:

Post a Comment