Thursday 26 December 2013

Buntings & Bullfinches

A foggy start, but today was to see another addition to the year-list.

As I wasn't sure how long the fog would linger, I began by trying to get a shot in the can, and settled for this obliging Fieldfare at Netherstead Farm.


I decided to tackle the south end first, and found about 150 Linnets, about 50 Chaffinches, and 45 Fieldfares down there. I also began logging Buntings, having noticed that they have been well represented in recent visits. Almost as an afterthought I also started counting the Bullfinches. For some reason the patch seems to be an irresistible draw for them this winter, and I ended up with a minimum of 12 (smashing my previous record; although it had been just four).

Back to the Buntings, I actually didn't count all that many Reed Buntings (just 20), but there were more Yellowhammers than usual. I ended up with 32 (less than half my best count which was in 2007) but more than I have seen this autumn.

Just beyond the dragonfly pool field I started walking along the hedge towards Stapenhill Wood. I could see a Reed Bunting perched up, and another Bunting beyond. This was 20% larger and rather nondescript, and not yellow. It began to dawn on me that I was looking at a Corn Bunting. I gently tried to get my scope off my back and onto my tripod, which is where everything went wrong. The bird clearly had its eye on me and decided to fly off. I saw it was fat bodied and  didn't see any white outer-tail feathers. Sadly it ignored my muttered requests to land, and I watched it keep flying north-west until lost from view.

This is the fourth record for the site, and my second. Three of the previous records were also in mid-winter, so I guess they may occasionally move north with Yellowhammers from their nearest breeding sites south of Alcester.

So sadly, no photo to show. Here is a Robin in the fog instead!



A short time later I heard a Golden Plover, and a little afterwards a small flock flew over, giving a day total of 14. The various water courses were pretty disappointing again; 101 Lapwings, a Wigeon, two Teal, and five Snipe was all the flashes could muster.

There are still quite a few Meadow Pipits about, I would estimate about 15 today, and the Stonechat is still present at the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment