Sunday 15 December 2013

Sunday December 15

The weather had calmed down overnight and the morning was fairly mild, fairly bright, and fairly boring. I tramped around seeing nothing better than 18 Wigeon, five Teal, 150 Lapwings, a Brambling, a Grey Wagtail, and a Goldcrest. The last three would be useful additions when the new year begins.

I am trying to decide how to spice up the birding next year. In 2013 I took part in the Patchwork Challenge, but I found it a bit disappointing because only three other Midland patches took part throughout the year, and the site dealt only in numbers. It would have been more interesting if the participants had been invited to show the list of the species they saw. So I don't think I'll bother next year.

This doesn't mean I won't be doing a list though. Quite the opposite. I have talked Mike into competing against me with a list of birds at Middle Spernal Farm pools just down the road. Our sites are quite similar so I think it could be a good contest. Unfortunately Mike doesn't blog (or even own a computer) so I will have to keep his list on my blog.

Also, I started wondering how many species I had photographed here last year, and came up with a tally of 54, including today's offering:

A Linnet
So that's another list for me to keep. Yes I know, what a sad b****d, but I regard it as fun so its going to happen, and I can't wait.

Expect an increase in fuzzy, distant bird images.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,
    It'd be a shame if you decide not to do Patchwork Challenge next year. By my reckoning you'll be in 2nd place in the midlands mini-league at the end of this month (I think the shrike is worth 6 points as self-found), unless I find something worth 2 points. Maybe more midlanders will have a go next year?
    Kind regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt,
      Maybe I'll put my name down again. I wasn't sure whether I could claim the Shrike as a find as Dave beat me to it.
      Cheers
      Rich

      Delete