Thursday 2 January 2014

It's a new year, and we're off (sort of)

January 1 dawned grey and damp, and neither I, nor Mike, could visit our respective patches.

My excuse was that I was in Glossop celebrating the new year with friends. My only birding was achieved on the walk down the High Street, where I got a shot of some Black-headed Gull action before my camera ran out of battery.


Today, January 2, I got the dreaded text from Mike. He was up and running with a Woodcock at Middle Spernal Pool. This is a species I haven't seen on my patch for over a year.

However, although he is off the mark, his actual list was a pretty modest 29 species. Mike was keen to point out he doesn't get the variety of farmland birds I do (excuses, excuses).

I suspect Haselor Scrape will be a valuable string to his bow as soon as he remembers its part of his patch.

The forecast looks pretty poor for the weekend, so I might have to be a bit more flexible to make the most of any dry weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment