Monday 24 February 2014

Signs of spring

A couple of hours just after mid day was just what I needed. The stormy weather of yesterday has been replaced by sunny, springlike conditions.

I parked at Church Farm and it wasn't long before I saw my first butterfly of the year, as a Brimstone fluttered distantly along the hedge-line beyond the pool. My attention soon returned to birds as the first migrant of spring appeared.

male Stonechat

Although a female type Stonechat did attempt to winter, it has not been seen since early January. This lovely male was surely a migrant heading back to the uplands having perhaps wintered on the south coast. It's a classic time of year for migrant Stonechats to appear.

Slightly less convincing evidence for early spring migration was available at the flashes, where the Green Sandpiper numbers have swelled to three individuals.

three Green Sandpipers
So what birds was I going to add to my photo list on this fine sunny day? Well I'm starting to run out of easy ones, but these two were on offer.

50. Magpie
51. Grey Heron
The Magpies around here are not like the cocky suburban beasts I am used to. Too smart to allow close approach, our local birds are used to men with guns and keep their distance.

Finally as I headed back to the car, a Peregrine flew away over Bannams Wood before reappearing and gliding back and forth, well out of camera range.

No comments:

Post a Comment