Monday 17 March 2014

G W Teal update

News from Mike Inskip and Trevor Jones confirmed that the Green-winged Teal was still present. In fact I understand it was spending time on the nearer flash. Mike also told me that he had counted five Green Sandpipers and believes he saw the female Gadwall, which had been absent recently. He didn't think the Shoveler was still present though.

I feel I ought to give the Green-winged Teal a bit of context. It is of course an American species, and I believe the Morton Bagot bird is the ninth Warwickshire record, and the 20th for the West Midland Bird Club region. Most records have been from the larger reservoirs like Blithfield and Draycote, while Brandon Marsh has also played host on several occasions. However, small places have also turned them up in the past, most notably one at Lighthorne Quarry in central Warwickshire on December 20 2000.

One or two big hitters are yet to record the species, for example Upton Warren, Chasewater, and Marsh Lane Gravel Pit.

No doubt their time will come.

1 comment:

  1. Great find Richard, reward for all the time you've put in.I do hope Upton gets one soon, even better if I find it :-)

    ReplyDelete