Wednesday 19 March 2014

Wednesday March 19

After some late news from Matt Griffiths from yesterday. Fresh from finding a Firecrest on his rival Patchwork Challenge patch, Earlswood Lakes, he popped down to Morton Bagot to see the Green-winged Teal and record six Green Sandpipers.

Today the situation is rather more confused. Matt Willmott began by reporting that there was no sign of the Green-winged Teal this morning although he did find the first Little Ringed Plover of the year plus the six Green Sandpipers, two Jack Snipes, and 33 Common Snipe.

He then sent me a text asking who put the Green-winged Teal onto Birdguides for the morning because he didn't see either the bird or any birders.

The plot thickened this afternoon when Jon Yardley texted me about the LRP and added that Chris Lane had texted him to say that the Green-winged Teal was present in the afternoon.

So I guess it is now moving around. The Teal flock does sometimes disappear to Spernal and then reappear later. Perhaps that is what has happened.

My own birding highlight was confined to hearing two Blackcaps still in full voice on my way to the paper shop this morning, and then getting home after work to find it just about light enough to see the last Blackbird going to roost.

Ho hum.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I was wondering if I could ask for some information on where the Green Winged Teal has been, I'm not very familiar with the area and am unsure exactly where the bird has been seen. I'm thinking of getting over to see the bird Sunday if it still around and would be grateful for any information you could give.

    Regards

    WMBB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi WMBB.

      I have posted some directions on my latest post. Good Luck

      Rich

      Delete