Sunday 20 April 2014

Easter Sunday

A bit different to my last visit. Grey oppressive clouds and a brisk cold easterly. It all made for a rather challenging morning.

The highlights were two singing Goldcrests (neither of which could I see), and continuing with the theme of hidden birds I also heard seven Blackcaps, five Chiffchaffs, two Lesser Whitethroats and two Common Whitethroats.

The flashes were dull again, two Teal and two Little Ringed Plovers, but at least they did supply my only photo year tick today.

71. Cormorant

Looking closely at my photograph of this sub-adult Cormorant I have been trying to convince myself that the shape of the back edge of the bare patch of skin at the base of the bill points to it being of the continental race sinensis. However, the photo may be not sharp enough to clinch it either way.

I ended up resorting to trying to identify wild flowers. These Cowslips were quite easy.


As usual I ran into trouble with the rest. I decided I had seen Cow Parsley, Wood Forget-me-not, Greater Stitchwort, White Dead-nettle, and some sort of dog violet. I did take some shots but the wind was blowing everything about so most came out a bit blurred.

The woolly hat came out of retirement. It was that cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment