Saturday 5 April 2014

Reality check

After the excitement of the last few weeks I suppose it was inevitable that a quiet day was on the cards. I switched to Saturday because the forecast for tomorrow predicts rain for most of the morning.

It was pretty cloudy this morning, but the rain held off. Good visibility and a light south-westerly breeze. It never felt as though migrants would be on the move.

So nothing new to see. The main diversion at the flashes was the presence of two Little Owls in an Oak tree.

The two Little Owls

Scanning the flashes produced the usual suspects; a drake Wigeon, 33 Teal, two Snipe, and the female Gadwall. I then did a quick circuit and returned to add a Little Ringed Plover and three Green Sandpipers to the list. Oh, and this chap is still here.


It seems almost sacrilegious to say this, but I'm getting a bit bored with the Green-winged Teal now. However, not everyone is, and I met a couple of birders, Colin and Dawn, who were visiting the site for the first time. I enjoyed pointing out the waders on offer, and also a pair of Ravens which had been flying around all morning.


A Roe Deer

So no new migrants on offer, unless you count a Blackcap which sang, unseen, from the middle of Stapenhill Wood, but enough to keep me going.

Postscript:

This afternoon John Chidwick saw a Yellow Wagtail at the flashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment