Wednesday 2 April 2014

The rarities keep on coming

I had planned to go to the patch tonight anyway, but the speed with which I would get there was increased considerably by a phone call from Lyn at around 16:00. Mike Lane had phoned to say he had found two Avocets on the flash.

Bloody hell! I tried hinting loudly to my boss what a shame it was I couldn't just get up and go, but it was no good,  I would just have to sweat it out. I did the decent thing and texted the regulars, so by the time I was home most people had seen them.

By 18:45 I was there, hot and sweaty, and relieved. They were still there.

65. Avocet
I remembered the camera, but not the spare battery. After taking several shots of sleeping Avocets, I got the chance to take one of them feeding..and then the battery ran out.

Mark Islip and Mike Inskip were there when I arrived. Dave was on his way. So what else was here? Well the Green-winged Teal was still present, with 38 Teal for company. The Green Sandpipers built up to five by dusk. A single Little Ringed Plover, and a couple of Snipe, plus the usual Lapwings etc.

A reminder that it is still very early spring came when 11 Fieldfares flew over, and several Meadow Pipits flew out of the field behind us.

Once Dave had arrived and ticked, we decided to use the last of the murky light to check out the pool. This contained an impressive 14 Tufted Ducks, just one short of the record. We also noticed that the Tawny Owl was showing, though we remained far from its tree.

I suppose like most patch watchers I have a little hit list of "birds I would love to see on the patch". That's two crossed off this spring already.. What next?

No comments:

Post a Comment