Saturday 26 April 2014

They went

My plans were foiled by the weather. Heavy rain in the early hours led me to decide to sleep until a respectable hour. When I finally did get to the patch my decision seemed vindicated when I located the Tawny Owl in the hedge beyond its usual tree.

Tawny Owl and Cormorant
 The immature Cormorant presented me with the opportunity to get both birds in the same shot...if you look hard enough. A new Sedge Warbler burst into song and for a while I was tempted to do a big day despite the normal start time. A pair of Wheatears appeared in the field, but then I got to the flashes and my early optimism drained away.

One thing not draining away was the water-level which had risen overnight. I had hoped the rain might have dropped a wader in, but instead it took one away, as the lack of mud meant no sign of the Little Ringed Plover. The Teal had also gone, but were replaced by the female Gadwall which has been visiting occasionally for almost two months.

Still with half a mind to do a big day, I recorded species diligently. Nine Whitethroats, seven Blackcaps, four Chiffchaffs, two Sedge Warblers, and two Lesser Whitethroats but no more passage migrants. The Cuckoo was still calling, and I recorded Bullfinch and Treecreeper in the wood. A Carrion Crow swooped down and took a hapless Lapwing chick.

By 10.30 am I had all but given up. A fly-over Redpoll buzzed, unseen, but the day lacked a spark. Even the House Martins normally resident around Netherstead Farm had disappeared.

Aware I was also failing to photograph very much, I went for this Moorhen.


But went you start photographing Moorhens you know its time to give up. So I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment