Thursday 24 April 2014

Will they stay, or will they go?

Well its approaching that time of year again. The annual big day. Many sites do one; Upton Warren, Belvide, Marsh Lane for example. They all do theirs in May.

Not me. I have always preferred late April, usually around the 22nd. This plan is probably coloured by my spectacularly successful day in 2011 when I scored a still unbeaten 70 species, including Marsh Harrier and Wood Sandpiper.

My thinking is that I stand a chance of collecting birds like Teal, Snipe and Green Sandpiper  which have usually left by May, while the only birds I could miss would be Swift and possibly Reed Warbler. Also, the earlier date is better for passage migrants like Redstart.

Sadly the plan backfired spectacularly in 2012 when I was too early for even staples like the Whitethroats, and managed a pitiful 60 species. Last year was better, but still only 65. This year I have shifted the date, and the current plan is for Saturday.

But the weather could be a big fly in the ointment. It currently looks to be wet, and even worse, blustery for most of the morning. Also, the birds aren't playing ball.

I went out this evening. No Green Sandpipers or Snipe again. The only positive was that the Teal are still present, in fact they have doubled in number to a respectable four.

Hanging in there
Another bright spot this evening was the presence of the first brood of Lapwings. There were four young chicks running about, but only two made it into shot.


The Little Ringed Plover was the only other wader in residence. Being evening there was not much song, but I did hear Whitethroat, Blackcap, and Cuckoo.

Frustration of the evening was an extremely faint call of a possible Yellow Wagtail, which I followed up with a distant dot bouncing away into the distance in a way not incompatible with the way a Wagtail would fly, or a Pipit. That was the problem.

I just need it to turn up on Saturday...assuming I do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment