Sunday 25 May 2014

Sunday May 25

A cloudy and rather damp morning. The rain overnight and yesterday had created plenty of puddles and raised the water levels in all the water courses.

I started at Netherstead, and soon confirmed that the two Reed Warblers were still singing and remaining hidden from view. Some crow alarm calls caused me to look up in time the see a Raven out-distancing its pursuers. An opportunity to get a flight shot.

Raven
It was too cool for insects to be on the wing so today was always going to be devoted to birds. As I reached the main pool I found that my first Little Grebes of the year were in residence. As is generally the case they weren't keen to be photographed, diving and eventually re-emerging in the pool-side vegetation whenever I got too close. But I managed some record shots.

80. Little Grebe (two)

The field behind the pool contained several singing Skylarks, and I finally got a shot of one of them on the ground.


I reached the flash, and found that the wet weather had not produced any waders. However, within a few minutes two Redshanks did turn up.

One of the Redshanks
The remainder of the visit produced a silent Cuckoo (perhaps a female) with a male still singing in the distance, and a series of other common birds which I couldn't resist snapping.

Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting
Lesser Whitethroat and Reed Bunting
Greenfinch
Kestrel
And a dot shot for the photo-year list

81. Swift
I had a frustrating near miss on the way home when I found a Jay hopping around in the road, while my camera was in the boot. I managed to retrieve the camera while the bird remained, only to have it flushed by a passing car.

No comments:

Post a Comment