Wednesday 21 May 2014

Wednesday May 21

A still sunny evening. I arrived later than usual with a cunning plan up my sleeve. Initially it was all pleasant enough. A Reed Warbler was singing invisibly from the hedge bordering eastern edge of the pool field, rather odd. A party of Canada Geese and two Redshanks on the Flash.


Behind me a Lapwing was calling anxiously from the tilled field. I think she may have chicks.


A Sedge Warbler was singing from the straggly hedge-line at the west side of the pool. I couldn't see it, but as I looked up the hill towards Bannams Wood I realised the cunning plan had paid off. A Barn Owl was hunting over the field in front of the wood.

I would obviously like to show you some marvelous shots at this stage, and goodness knows I tried. But the light was too poor, and my camera was not up to the job (neither was its operator), so after discarding loads of fuzzy white blobs, this is the best I could come up with.

79. Barn Owl
At least you can tell it is one. The bird itself performed wonderfully off and on for about 30 minutes from 21.00. I also heard the Grey Partridge again while I was watching the Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment