Saturday 28 June 2014

Saturday June 28

After a very wet day yesterday I was tempted to check out the flashes this morning. The grass was both long and wet, so I got pretty soaked even though it didn't actually rain.

In the rather murky light I established that the water level had risen and the Green Sandpiper was still there. The only arrival was three Teals.

I returned via the pool, which now contains three Little Grebes. Despite the gloom several Common Darters and various brown butterflies were on the wing, but the real eye-catcher were the numbers of Cinnabar moths taking to the wing along the footpath back up to the road.

Cinnabar Moth
Although they are quite pretty when perched on a leaf, they become truly startling in flight when the bright crimson underwing is revealed.

I took some more flower shots, but my interest in them is starting to wane, something that seems to happen every year. In another month birds will be centre stage once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment