Saturday 21 June 2014

Snape Maltings and Warren

We visited Snape Maltings on Sunday. Lyn keeps saying its her favorite place in all the world (pottery, paintings, and art and craft shops). Our friends, Jane and Bill, tagged along, while I headed for hills. Well actually I explored the other side of the estuary and found an area of heathland called Snape Warren.

Before I got there, a Barn Owl flew from a fence post and got snapped before it disappeared.


A better picture than I managed of the Morton Bagot bird. The reedbeds produced another hidden Cetti's Warbler plus loads of Reed Warblers and a few Little Egrets.

The sign at the entrance to the Warren promised me Woodlarks and Dartford Warblers., and in no time at all two of the former flew from the path, and perched up obligingly. They then flew off, but I quickly tracked one down.

Woodlark
These were my first Woodlarks for several years. The Dartford Warblers proved trickier, but eventually I heard one singing before seeing it in flight and then perched some way off. I chose not to trample about trying to photograph it after it disappeared into a bank of distant gorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment