Wednesday 25 June 2014

Summer evening

Tonight was a classic still summer evening. Although I arrived quite late there was still enough warmth in the day for dragonflies to be on the wing.

A female Emperor
I had parked at Netherstead hoping that the Grasshopper Warbler might still be present. It wasn't but half way to the pool I was mobbed by an agitated Whitethroat.


No doubt there were some recently fledged young nearby. The pool itself contained a Little Grebe and two Mute Swans, while at the flashes some waders were present; a Little Ringed Plover and a Green Sandpiper. The abiding memory however was of the sun shining through hoards of tiny insects dancing over the water's surface.


Unfortunately, other insects were taking chunks out of my arms, so I headed back to Netherstead.

Back at the reedbed close to dusk for a change, I found that there was a small Pied Wagtail roost gathering, and counted 17 birds until a Sparrowhawk flew over causing the whole lot to take flight and shoo it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment