Sunday 29 June 2014

Sunday June 29

A bright sunny morning. Heading away from Netherstead I soon came across several Marbled White butterflies frantically battling with numerous Meadow Browns, Ringlets and even Large Skippers for prime position on the flowering brambles.

A Marbled White and a Ringlet
Reaching the pool I noticed one or two Swifts flashing past me taking advantage of the abundance of insects. I managed a single shot of one.

My best effort at a Swift so far.
Having said that I was losing interest in plants in my last blog entry, it was almost inevitable I would find something botanical to puzzle out.


It turned out that this very tall plant was Chicory.

At the flash it initially seemed all was quiet, three Teal and a Green Sandpiper still. The muddy bit has been colonised  by tall thick, and above all annoying, vegetation. A few Lapwings poked their heads out of it. Then in a gap behind it a small wader showed briefly. I thought I knew what it was, but after waiting for a quarter of an hour I could see no further sign. I decided to move further along the hedge to a place where I knew there was a tiny gap in the foliage through which bits of the flash were visible. This was a masterstroke and I relocated the bird and confirmed it to be the first Common Sandpiper of the year.  Could I get a record shot through the hedge?

84. Common Sandpiper
Oh yes. I know its terrible, but I'm really pleased to have got any image at all. I only saw one of these here last year, and this could be the only one again.

Returning past the pool, the adult Little Grebes were as elusive as ever, but I got a clear view of the third bird, a fully fledged juvenile.

Little Grebe
Finally, the long grass by the pond produced a striking day-flying moth.

Narrow-bordered Five-spot Burnet
The books tell me that the above moth with the very long name could also be a Five-spot Burnet, but that species has never been recorded in Warwickshire and can only be safely identified from examining it's underwing and genitalia in minute detail. So blow that for a lark, its going down as the commoner more exotic sounding species.

No comments:

Post a Comment