Thursday 4 September 2014

Wednesday September 3

A cloudy, reasonably still evening. I had a rather heavy heart as I trudged round for what will probably be my last midweek evening visit of the year. I reckon I need an hour for a meaningful visit, and the earliest I can get here is about 7.00pm.

What I needed was something different to lift my spirits. The waders were a bit of a dead loss, although the Common Sandpiper was still present along with five Green Sandpipers and a Snipe. However, the wildfowl was doing its best.

A pair of Mute Swans has turned up, and with all the usual Mallard on the pool I spotted three Wigeon, the first of the autumn. I blew the photo opportunity by taking a step too far. They were off in a trice and all I could get was a distant flight shot.


Down at the flash there seemed to be a lot of birds. The Wigeon relocated to the furthest flash, and it turned out there were four of them. The big story of the evening was the massive influx of Teal. There are now 118 present, and along with 85 Lapwings, 100 or so Mallard, 50 Canada Geese and 52 Greylag Geese, the left hand flash was positively crowded.

I headed back, serenaded by hooting Tawny Owls, and noting various creatures of the night as Dracula might say; i.e. a Bat sp, a Badger, a Roe Deer, and a potential Mink (although the dark streak which ran across the path could have been anything).

Finally, I'm sorry to read that Shenstone Birder/Wild and Wandering is calling it a day. I like reading local blogs, and his was an inspiration to us all. I hope Jason refinds his Mojo in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment