Saturday 8 November 2014

Saturday November 8

A rare opportunity to nip out on Saturday following torrential rain until lunchtime.

I took full advantage, parking at the church and heading straight to the flash which, for the first time in ages was full of ducks. I counted 303 Mallard, 49 Teal, five Wigeon and 42 Lapwings. Among the latter a pale bird stood out.

A leucistic Lapwing
Also present were two Green Sandpipers. I strolled away and had just reached the pool when a sharp call stopped me in my tracks. A Dunlin, the first this year. I scanned around and then heard it call again, much further away. Shortly afterwards it returned and I got a view as it circled the pool before continuing south.

The walk back produced about 30 Yellowhammers and a dozen Reed Buntings, and then a pair of Stonechats.

Stonechat
The male was particularly showy. Back at the car I noticed a Mistle Thrush. They have been scarce again this summer, so it was worth a shot.


A very enjoyable little visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment