Sunday 22 March 2015

Sunday 22 March

Another cloudy morning, and still quite cold. A very light easterly.

After an hour or so seeing very little it was beginning to look as though all I'd have to blog about was two Redshank, three Green Sandpipers, and 16 Teal. A flock of 35 Fieldfares headed east at least gave the impression migration was underway, and there was also at least 12 Meadow Pipits in the Stonechat field (but no Stonechats).

However, on the return from the flash we had an abrupt change of fortune as I spotted our first Wheatear of the year. As is typical with the first of the season it was a male and an absolute cracker.

Wheatear

It was originally on posts at the top of a small pasture summit, but was refound in the hedge at the bottom of the field.

There was not much else to report thereafter, a couple of Feral Pigeons were the first of the year (I don't add them to my list but as I am doing Patchwork Challenge and they have deemed them countable, I will add them to my "points".) A flock of 45 Starlings hurried past, and although I didn't make an accurate assessment, the numbers of Buzzards, and a Sparrowhawk, circling and displaying all around was probably well into double figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment