Friday 24 April 2015

Friday 24 April

An early start due to an inconveniently mid-morning doctor's appointment. Once the fog dispersed it was a beautiful sunny morning.

I parked under Bannam's Wood and walked back towards the pool, seeing a silent Willow Warbler in birches, and noting that the Tawny Owl was visible. Traditionally this is around the date I normally do a big day, but this year I have been signed up to do one on May 9 against other patches, but with Morton Bagot being temporarily expanded to include Middle Spernal and Haselor scrape. More of that in a future posting.

Anyway, I couldn't help wondering how I might have got on today had I been doing a big day, and the walk to the flash field produced another migrant in the form of a Wheatear, and my first Cuckoo of the year calling from miles away. At the flashes the Redshanks were still present, and also at least three Teal. My second Owl of the morning was a Little Owl.

Little Owl
At the time I took the photo I thought that its rather chocolate brown underparts might mean it was a juvenile, but I am now sure it is an adult because the crown is spotted.

I returned to my car, and then drove to Netherstead. Here I quickly discovered that a Sedge Warbler was singing well from the reedbed.

Sedge Warbler
My departure was then delayed when I noticed a very pale headed Buzzard perched on a post.

Hmmm, Buzzard?
I edged nearer, never really believing it would turn out to be better than a Buzzard. Eventually it chose to take off, and the views were conclusive.


An unusually pale Common Buzzard
Aren't they always?

No comments:

Post a Comment