Tuesday 21 April 2015

Tuesday April 21

A rare afternoon session began at 13.30 as I set out from Netherstead determined to find and sketch some of  the Tufted Ducks which should be present.

Despite the late start, it didn't take long to record newly arrived migrants as the first of two Lesser Whitethroats sang in the hedgerow adjacent to the dragonfly pools, and shortly afterwards I saw a House Martin disappear under the eaves of one of the Netherstead barn conversions.

On my way to the pool I saw another House Martin, Common Whitethroat, and Blackcap. There were also lots of butterflies on the wing including Orange Tips. At the pool itself I quickly located the resident Little Grebes, noted a sitting Canada Goose on the island, and finally located a pair of Tufted Ducks.


I got a bit obsessed drawing the male, and only did one sketch of the female. I moved on to the flashes to find that the nearest flash was almost dry and contained only a few Lapwings. The rest of the birds were on the furthest flash, but there was nothing new there, just the usual Mallards and Geese plus seven Teal, more Lapwings, and the pair of Redshank.

One thing I had hoped the late start might bring was a better chance of a good raptor. In the event apart from the usual Buzzards, the nearest I came was this soaring Sparrowhawk.

Sparrowhawk
I will be back to the morning visits from tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment