Sunday 3 May 2015

Sunday May 3

A rain-bearing front which passed through during the early morning promised the possibility of some grounded migrants, so as soon as the rain eased I was ready to start searching for them.

I have a suspicion that the passage of rain gives the avian chorus a fresh impetus, and it certainly felt that the volume had been turned up as I made my way through the village. The temperature was up too, and I was optimistic.

A new Lesser Whitethroat was singing at Netherstead copse, but by the time I reached the pool I had really only recorded the usual birds. However, as I got onto two Snipe as they flew into the marsh, beyond them a distant Common Swift headed north. A new Sedge Warbler was singing there, and I had the opportunity to photograph a close Skylark.

Skylark
As I approached the flash field I noticed three white birds flying in the distance. I must admit that my first thought was Mute Swan, but when I looked through the bins I immediately realised they were actually Little Egrets, and that they were coming in to land. I say Little Egrets, this was actually a bit of an assumption, and small Egrets would be more accurate. I hurried to the hedge to look for them, but there was no sign at all. They must have landed beyond the back fence line.

After scanning the nearest flash, the mud now partially replaced by a shallow film of water, I found it contained a pair of Teal, two Redshanks and a Little Ringed Plover. The furthest flash hosted only Mallard and Coots. I considered my options and had just decided I would need to walk up the hill to Church Farm to gain sufficient height to see beyond the fence, when the bullocks in the field did me a favour and flushed the Egrets to the middle of the furthest field. I could at least confirm that they were not Cattle Egrets.

I decided to head back to the car where I had left my scope and tripod. When I returned 30 minutes later the three Egrets had transferred to the furthest flash, close enough for a record shot, but I had also decided to try some field sketches now that I had my scope.


Little Egrets
I found it difficult to convey the beauty of these birds which had plumes of aigrettes coming from their mantle and their feathers, particularly striking when the wind caught them.

The drama was not quite over. As I headed back to my car I caught sight of a fast moving falcon just above the ridge, and was able to confirm that it was the first Hobby of the year.

All in all a terrific visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment