Friday 19 June 2015

Friday June 19

A cloudy morning with some sunny intervals, and rather cool for June.

This morning I carried out my last transect survey of the season looking principally for birds. Despite this, the first interesting creature I saw was an insect, my first Common Emerald Damselfly of the year.

Common Emerald Damselfly
Subsequently the temperature struggled to get warm enough to encourage many insects onto the wing. The birds were a little predictable, the highlights being a rapid fly past by the adult Hobby, a Cuckoo still singing in the distance, a variety of warblers including the reverend Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, and two Lesser Whitethroats, and four immature Mute Swans which flew around before trying to land on the pool, where they were quickly seen off by the resident pair.

Mute Swans
The flashes contained two Little Ringed Plovers, a Redshank, and a juvenile Little Owl in the usual tree, while the pair of Little Grebes remain on the pool.

With little else to divert me I took the opportunity to photograph a few plants for my long neglected Flowers of Morton Bagot page.

No comments:

Post a Comment