Thursday 23 July 2015

Thursday July 23

My last visit to the patch was always going to be a hard act to follow, so I was not surprised that today was less eventful.

After exploring the environs of Netherstead Farm, I made my way to the pool, which was lower than ever, and contained just a single immature Lapwing. I had set myself the goal of sketching Lapwings today so I wasn't too displeased.

It soon flew off, heading for the flash field. I did the same and found myself looking at a mirage. Water in the nearest flash. But it was true, it really was wet. I'm not sure how, my guess is that some water from the furthest flash has been allowed to drain into the nearest. Whatever the reason, it was a real shot in the arm, and makes me much more optimistic for the coming wader passage.

I relocated the Lapwing, plus an adult bird, and resumed the sketches.


Other birds on the flash included a new brood of Mallard, a juvenile Shelduck, and four Green Sandpipers. The latter were keeping to the near side, and were therefore hard to see behind the obstructing vegetation.

After deciding there was nothing else to see there I carried on with the circuit. About 25 Swifts continue to career about amongst numerous House Martins and Swallows, and the Goldfinch flock remains strong, although I only counted 75 or so.

I had a good view of a female Roesel's Bush-cricket and numerous butterflies of various species.

Roesel's Bush-cricket
If you think that's got a funny name, the next insect I am going to show you beat's it hands down. At the dragonfly pools the water is now really low, and we are left with a puddle surrounded by damp mud which is covered in some kind of small aquatic snail (I haven't tried to id them) and thousands of small flies. I took a closer look at the latter and found they were really attractive little beasts.


After a bit of research on the old interweb I have found that they go by the name Poecilobothrus nobililtatus. Just trips off the tongue doesn't it.


No comments:

Post a Comment