Friday 21 August 2015

Friday 21 August

A cloudy morning with a moderate southerly breeze. I was pretty optimistic as we are now in the best early autumn period. I always think of this migration season as having two peaks, one from about 20 Aug to 10 Sept, and then another from 10 to 30 Oct. The first relates to migrants leaving UK and western Europe heading for southern climes, and the second is when the winter visitors pile in, hopefully bringing some Siberian migrants with them.

I picked the route through the village this morning. A few Siskins called as they flew around, and my first Grey Wagtail of the autumn flew over. There were still plenty of Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, and Whitethroats in the bushes, but the best area was the hedge line behind the pool. Here I saw a showy juvenile Sedge Warbler, saw the Tree Pipit again (but only in flight this time), and had a brief view of a juvenile Whinchat.

Sedge Warbler
I reached the Flashes and immediately saw there was a new wader present. It turned out to be a juvenile Greenshank.

Greenshank (with B H Gull and a Lapwing's backside)
I scanned the rest of the Flash as there were plenty of birds on it. These proved to be 57 Lapwings, 11 Green Sandpipers, 14 Teal, and four Snipe. The remainder of the field harboured 121 Greylag Geese.

I had intended to sketch the Snipe this morning. They were a bit distant, but I gave it a go.


Not an easy subject as they never stop moving when they are feeding. After completing a page full I looked at the Flash again and could no longer see the Greenshank, so it may have gone.

I headed back, my dreams of finding a rarity subsiding into reality as usual. There were a lot of hirundines in the sky, a rough estimate being 50 House Martins and 50 Swallows, but I'm sure some of them were moving through. As I was scanning I noticed a Swift, and quickly realised it was one of a little party of 14 heading rapidly south-east. I wonder if they will be the last I see this year.

Post-script: I looked in at Pophills Farm scrape, Salford Priors GP late in the afternoon. This site is looking superb and has massive potential for passage waders. We were on our way back from tea and cake at Hillers, so while Lyn sat in the car I gave myself 15 minutes to see what was there. The answer was four Dunlin, five Common Sandpipers, a Green Sandpiper, and a Little Ringed Plover. Note to self: take your scope next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment