Thursday 6 August 2015

Thursday 6 August

A cloudy start with frequent showers and a light southerly breeze. It warmed up considerably when the sun came out.

I began by spending quite a while on the Netherstead access road, below the plantation as there were a lot of small birds around. Among these I started to notice calls which sounded like they were being made by Siskins, and eventually I confirmed the presence of at least one juvenile. It disappeared before I could get a record shot. After chatting to Maggie and another lady, both of whom live in the barn conversions, I headed for the wetland areas intent on sketching Green Sandpipers.

After good views of two on the pool, I found a further nine on the flash field. So plenty of opportunities to get sketching.


As usual there were few other waders present, just a Snipe and 54 Lapwings. Teal numbers are still creeping up, they now number five. A Little Owl called, but I couldn't see it. I also had a brief, and distant view of a probable Whinchat.

After returning to my car, I decided to pause on the access road, and quickly located two juvenile Siskins. Unfortunately the light was against me, so the photographic record of the event is a bit ropey.

The two Siskins against the sky.

The heavily streaked back and crown is shown here
These birds are only the second and third here this year. Very unusual to see them in late summer and in juvenile plumage. The species is prone to occasional bumper winters, so these early records may herald a good winter for them.

Keep watching the feeders at the barn conversions.

No comments:

Post a Comment