Tuesday 18 August 2015

Tuesday August 18

My journeys to and from work have been ornithologically lively over the last couple of days.

I'll start with this evening. I was sitting on a bus, stuck in heavy traffic, trying to get home. A text from Mike; Tree Pipit at Morton Bagot. I texted him back; fly-over? I already guessed it wouldn't have been, and sure enough Mike rang me to confirm that the bird had been perched on a willow by the bridlepath, and had then flown into a field. I knew exactly where he meant.

I finally got home and did a quick turn round to be on site by 18.45. After 30 minutes of searching the area in gloomy conditions I was ready to resign myself to failure. But luck was on my side as a pipit got up from the hedge and headed straight for the top of the willow. There was no doubt about it, I had located the Tree Pipit.

Tree Pipit in gathering gloom
To put the record into some context, this is the second I have seen here on the ground, but have also seen a couple of fly-over birds, largely identified on call. This evening's bird was silent.

In my rush to get out of the house I had forgotten my scope, so I didn't spend too long scanning the Flashes. Mike had only seen Green sandpipers and Snipe, and I saw the same.

Now, back to Monday. This is to prove you can see good birds anywhere. I was walking through Kings Heath in Birmingham from my parents' house to the bus stop on the High Street. At the top of Cambridge Road I heard a Parrot calling. I was then just in time to see a Parakeet sp fly from gardens and disappear behind a line of houses. Almost certainly a Rose-ringed Parakeet, but I only saw a silhouette.

A further 100 yards on and I was almost at the High Street, when I spotted a muscular falcon flying towards me across Asda car park. Pigeons scattered in panic and the falcon revealed itself to be a juvenile female Peregrine. It then swooped and dived at the Feral Pigeons for several minutes. The only other occupant of the bus stop, a small lady, eyed me in some alarm as I stood beside her staring upwards, occasionally muttering "oh wow" under my breath as the Peregrine repeatedly reappeared and chased the pigeons.

I did think of trying to explain myself, but I didn't want to make things worse.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha!!
    My ten year old, Jack, and I read your blog daily with interest and have even taken a walk around your patch recently (green sandpiper, snipe, linnet, lapwing, yellow wagtail)
    Today's blog made us laugh out loud, thanks for entertaining us!!
    Lizzy and Jack
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzy & Jack

    I'm pleased your enjoying the blog. Yellow Wagtail is a good bird or the autumn. Keep up the good work.
    I haven't seen the Peregrine in Kings Heath since Monday (nor the small lady!)

    Rich

    ReplyDelete