Thursday 28 January 2016

Thursday January 28

This morning was bright and sunny, though cold. I was joined by Mike who had seen a Redpoll with a white rump in flight on Monday. We made a bee-line for the field but were presented with a reduced number of about 30, our sole highlight being a dog-fight between the adult Peregrine and a Carrion Crow.

We headed off on a circuit, and I was pleased to gain an easy patch year tick by spotting a pair of Mute Swans on the pool. They soon flew off.


But before they left I added another year-tick as I noticed two Shovelers on the small upper pool with Mallards.

Shovelers
It is not particularly evident from my photo, but they were actually both immature drakes. Mike noticed the male Stonechat in the field, and it came close enough for a good shot at one point.

Stonechat
Mike has, surprisingly, never seen the Tawny Owl here, so I was pleased to spot it peeking out of its hole. Unfortunately, by the time Mike aimed his scope at the tree it had disappeared again.

The flash field contained 34 Teal and two Green Sandpipers. We also saw Nuthatch and Treecreeper on the walk back, and a Siskin flew over calling.

Back at the Redpoll field the numbers had increased to about 80 - 100 birds, but they were difficult to approach and we were unable to confirm the presence of anything other than Lessers. In fact, I did notice another Redpoll with pale in its rump, but it didn't have any other Mealy features, and I have decided to leave the species as a pencil tick until I am 100% certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment