Sunday 28 February 2016

Sunday February 28

A largely sunny morning with a chilly easterly breeze.

Dave and I walked around the patch for a couple of hours without seeing anything new. Having said that, a wade through the marshy edge of the pool did at least confirm the continued presence of the Jack snipe, plus a mere four Common Snipe.

The three Stonechats were still here, but were at the far end of the chat field. The flash field produced only 10 Teal, the Redshank, three Green sandpipers, and a pair of Shelduck.


The small field at Stapenhill Wood was completely devoid of finches, but we later discovered that there were lots down at the south end.

Dave had not brought his scope so we drove down in my car, and I lent him my scope while I tried to take photographs or look through my bins. There were a lot more Linnets than recently, maybe 50. The rest were Redpolls, probably 80. They eventually flew onto the wires but neither of us was able to pick out anything of note. For a short while they perched in the hedge which allowed better scope/binocular views. Through the camera lens I got onto a bird I half thought was a Chaffinch at first, and I tried to draw Dave's attention to it. Sadly my directions were too vague and he didn't see it.


As you can see the bird was a pink chested male Redpoll. It's apparent large size may be an illusion caused by the birds with it being further away. Lets just call it a Redpoll.

Disappointingly, despite the fact that we never left the car, the whole flock then decided to take off and head north, probably to Stapenhill Wood.

We gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment