Tuesday 16 February 2016

Tuesday February 16

Sunny with a moderate southerly breeze after a hard frost last night.

I delayed my arrival after convincing myself that the Redpolls only appear in their favourite field from late morning onwards. However, after 15 minutes sitting in the car without a sniff, I decided to change the plan.


A Pheasant had at least made an easy target, and I was soon able to add a Kestrel to the list of birds photographed this morning.


As I was heading across the Dragonfly Pool field intent on finding the Redpolls at their other favoured spot, I got a call from Sue. She had seen a Barn Owl this morning and thought it had gone into a shed by the barns. I back-tracked and checked out the shed I thought she had meant, but there was no sign.

I resumed my original course and arrived at the small field by Stapenhill Wood. Sure enough, the Redpoll flock was present, and just as surely they gave me a couple of brief opportunities to look at them before they disappeared into the scrub in front of the wood. I estimated about 80 birds. Eventually I gave up waiting for them to return and returned to the car via the frozen pool.

Back at the barns it occurred to me that I had overlooked one of the sheds. I went to have a look, and immediately noticed a trickle of white excrement down one of the walls. Camera at the ready, I edged forward and was in place to get a couple of rubbish record shots as the Barn Owl flew out.

Barn Owl
Cheers Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment