Wednesday 10 February 2016

Wednesday February 10

I had just over an hour to kill before the latest visit from a physiotherapist for Lyn, so I went for a quick dash around the patch.

It was cloudy, but calmer than on Sunday, the wind direction being just north of west. Initially I drove down the the Redpoll field, but after 10 minutes without a finch of any description I decided to cut my losses and head for the flash field.

At the pool I noticed that several pairs of Coots had arrived, and I ended up with a whole patch total of nine without visiting all of the small pools. A sign of spring for sure, as was my next good bird, a Shelduck. This flew over as I reached the flash field, and I suspect it had been on the furthest flash.

The Shelduck
As well as the usual Stonechat, I also logged 66 Teal, two Green Sandpipers, and 14 Canada Geese. On the walk back I counted seven Bullfinches.

Back at the car I decided to give the Redpoll field another go. However, after 15 minutes without seeing any I decided to give up. Fortunately, as I was about to change my footwear, I looked round to see about 20 small finches on the wires. After a while they appeared in the hedgerow and were confirmed to be Lesser Redpolls. But one of them wasn't. It was too big, about 10% larger than a Lesser Redpoll sitting in front of it, the brown on the scapulars looked rather earth-brown, and the head and ear-coverts were strikingly pale, the flanks were white with grey streaks. I had finally found a Mealy Redpoll which I was happy with.

The distance from the bird was quite great, and the branches of the hedgerow would prove a distraction, so I was doubtful whether I would have time to get a photograph. As I was pondering this conundrum the birds all flew into the field. I was already on borrowed time, so decided to leave.

This sketch tries to convey what I saw.

Mealy Redpoll with Lesser for size comparison

1 comment: