Friday 29 April 2016

Friday April 29

Normally at this time of the year I am champing at the bit to get out, but this present period of cold weather is tending to dampen the spirits. Today was typical, with a fresh westerly breeze bringing northerly air around a low pressure system and with it lots of cloud, some sunny intervals, and showers of hail.

I am now in full winter plumage.


The birds were hard to find as expected. There was not much singing, and by the time I reached the flash field I was reflecting that the highlight of the morning had been five House Sparrows (more than normal). Some relief was gained by the presence of a pair of Shelducks, the first for about a month, and almost as unusual here in spring, a pair of Starlings on the flash with a Little Ringed Plover and a Redshank. All the Teal seem to have gone.


I was pleased to hear a Willow Warbler singing from the same patch of hedge it was frequenting earlier in April, perhaps it has set up a territory there.

The most enjoyable birding came from under the canopy of Stapenhill Wood which was providing shelter from the wind. At least four Blackcaps, five Chiffchaffs, and a Treecreeper kept me interested, but I couldn't confirm any of the songs related to anything unusual.

So one or two useful birds for next week's bird race, except that I can't take part because we have friends visiting and theatre tickets to use. Perhaps I'll sneak out on Friday and do an unofficial one.

No comments:

Post a Comment