Friday 8 April 2016

Friday April 8

A largely cloudy morning with a few sunny intervals and some hefty showers. A light south-westerly breeze, but still quite chilly.

I set off for the south end with the aim of doing some more breeding bird surveying. As I reached my starting point I was pleased to hear a Willow Warbler singing in the same area one pair held territory last year.

Back at Netherstead two more surprises lay in store. An adult Peregrine powered past, the first since January, and then my earliest ever House Martin at Morton Bagot appeared briefly above the barn conversions.

I continued to the pool, which I was pleased to see contained a pair of Tufted Ducks and a Little Grebe. Several Mallard and a pair of Teal had flown off, but I wasn't expecting what happened next. Another pair of ducks were flying over, and their distinctive shape could mean only one species. The second record for the site of Goosander, the last being three in January 2011. I scrabbled for my camera which was in my bag, and was fortunate to get a record shot as they swung round, and headed south.

Goosanders
These and Tufted Duck are the only species of diving ducks yet recorded at the patch. Feeling pretty chuffed, I continued to the flash field which rather failed to live up to the occasion. Two Redshanks, four Green Sandpipers, three Lapwings, three Snipe, a pair of Black-headed Gulls, and 20 Teal were all that was present. A female Mallard sitting in the tree which sometimes contains the Little Owl was a strange sight.

I then made what was to prove an excellent decision. I returned to the pool. As I approached I stopped to look at a silhouetted passerine in the hedge. It shivered its tail, which meant it was something good. It moved to the edge of the bush and I could see that it was a male Redstart. After a couple of sorties to the ground it headed away down the hedge. As a result I managed just one record shot.

Redstart
With a flash of its orange tail it disappeared further down the hedge. I sat out a heavy shower, and then went looking for it to get a better shot, but it was nowhere to be seen.

I eventually gave up and resumed my usual circuit, but apart from a few more Chiffchaffs, no further migrants were seen.

To conclude, I stopped at High Field Farm for another dozen eggs, and recorded the singing Blackcap again, along with a calling Nuthatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment