Friday 27 May 2016

Friday May 28

Largely windless conditions with a mixture of sunshine and high cloud.

I concentrated on surveying in the first instance, but the bird population is now pretty settled and the only notable events to report are the presence of two Lapwing chicks in the Flash field, the continuing presence of a pair of Shelduck there, and the fact that the Reed Warbler is still singing at Netherstead.

Once the weather had warmed up I spent most of my time looking for insects. These included my first Broad-bodied Chaser of the year, which looked newly emerged.

Broad-bodied Chaser
A magnificent looking beastie. Further along the hedge I spotted a very pale damselfly which I suspected was a White-legged Damselfly. I am not sure whether I had recorded one here before, so I emailed a photo of it to the Warwickshire Dragonfly recorder, Peter Reeve, who has kindly confirmed it was an immature female of that species.

White-legged Damselfly
Other curious mini-beasts came within range and were tentatively identified.

Rhagio scolopaceus (a species of Snipe Fly)
Same Snipe Fly sp


A pair of potter wasps, probably Symmorphus gracilis
Finding and photographing insects is a very enjoyable diversion when the birding is a bit flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment