Sunday 8 May 2016

Sunday May 8

A warm/hot sunny morning, Still a very light easterly breeze.

We headed for the flash field where we quickly confirmed that the Wood Sandpiper was still present. Other than that the only notable event was a brood of Greylag Goose goslings on the furthest flash, although we also noticed that a pair of Shelducks were still present.

Traditionally a visit immediately following an all-dayer produces the odd bird missed on the day. Sure enough the Little Owl was staring at us from its oak tree. I sure it was smirking.


As the temperature rose, so numerous butterflies started to appear. Prominent amongst them were Orange Tips, and this time I managed to get some shots.

A male Orange Tip
A female Orange Tip
I also saw my first Small Whites as well as plenty of Brimstones.

At the Pheasant pens (aka the raptor watchpoint) Dave spotted three Swifts, which I eventually saw, but didn't hear a Cuckoo which annoyingly called just once. However we then spotted a distant falcon which circled from afar away near Bannams Wood, getting nearer but higher. I couldn't find it in the scope, but its long wings could only mean it was a Hobby.

At this point Dave got a text about 30 Black Terns at Marsh Lane GP, a pretty exceptional record, and he headed off toute suite. I'm sorry to report they didn't stay for him.

I concentrated on trying to locate damselflies at the Dragonfly Ponds, but was unsuccessful, and decided to head home after 30 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment